Dr Martha Mejia-Kaiser (Mexico/Germany)
current term: 2019-2022
Born in Mexico City in 1957 and living in Germany since 1989. Received a Licentiate’s degree in International Relations, a Master’s degree in International Law and a Doctorate in Political and Social Sciences from the National Autonomous University of Mexico (UNAM).
Diploma in Air and Space Law from McGill University and an International Space University graduate (89’ Summer Session). Worked in the Mexican Foreign Affairs Ministry and the Geophysics Institute (UNAM). Acting judge in the IISL Manfred Lachs Moot Court Competition and Telders (International Law) Moot Court Competition. Co-Chair of the IISL Manfred Lachs Moot Court Committee. Papers presented and lectures held at UNAM, IISL Colloquia, McGill University (Canada), NASA-Darpa, Leiden University (The Netherlads), Atma Jaya Catholic University (Indonesia), Keio University (Japan), etc.
- La Órbita Geoestacionaria (The Geostationary Orbit), Comunicaciones Técnicas, Docencia y Divulgación, Instituto de Geofísica, UNAM (1987).
- Doctoral Thesis: Imágenes Satelitarias de la Tierra y Derechos de Autor (Remote Sensing Images of the Earth and Copyrights), UNAM, 2003.
- “Taking Garbage Outside: The Geostationary Orbit and Graveyard Orbits”, in Proceedings of the 49th Colloquium on the Law of Outer Space, IAC Valencia, Spain (2006).
- “Informal Regulations and Practices in the Field of Space Debris Mitigation”, in Air and Space Law, Kluwer (2009).
- “Collision Course: The 2009 Iridium-Cosmos Crash”, in 52nd Proceedings Colloquium on the Law of Outer Space of Outer Space, IAC, Daejeon, Republic of Korea.
- “Removal of Hazardous Space Debris”, in Space Safety Regulations and Standards, Pelton J., Jakhu R. (eds.), Elsevier/Butterworth-Heineman (2010), Chapter 27, 371-382.
“ESA’s Choice of Futures: Envisat Removal or First Liability Case”, in Proc. 55th Colloquium on the Law of Outer Space, IAC, Naples, Italy (2012), available at https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B7O2eHT8riH8elNXQ0FkS0tQQ0k/edit
- “Space Law and Unauthorised Cyber Activities”, in Peacetime Regime for State Activities in Cyberspace, Katharina Ziolkowski (ed.),. NATO Cooperative Cyber Defense Centre of Excellence Publication, Tallinn, Estonia (2013). Free upload: http://www.ccdcoe.org/427.html