For all general enquiries about the Lachs Moot competition, please email firstname.lastname@example.org
Access to IISL papers for all registered teams
All registered participants in the Manfred Lachs Moot Court Competition will be granted exclusive access for the duration of the competition to IISL Colloquium papers (from 2005 to date), from the International Astronautical Congress archive.
Please request your login and password to access the server from your regional organiser.
We are grateful to our partner the IAF for making this possible.
Sample Memorials and World Finals Videos
The 2008 team from the University of Augsburg, Germany, which was the winner of the Best Memorials in the World Finals, has kindly agreed to allow us to post their memorials here as a reference. Please note that the rules concerning the formatting of memorials may have changed.
Memorials for each year’s winning team may also be found in the Proceedings of the IISL Colloquium.
The following memorials are from opponent teams in the World Finals:
- 2012 Applicant Memorial: Verona
- 2012 Respondent Memorial: Montague
- 2013 Applicant Memorial: Lydios
- 2013 Respondent Memorial: Endymion
- 2014 Applicant Memorial: Akera
- 2014 Respondent Memorial: Mheni
- 2015 Applicant Memorial: SPIDR
- 2015 Respondent Memorial: URA
- 2016 Applicant Memorial: Banché
- 2016 Respondent Memorial: Rastalia
Note that these sample memorials cannot be printed or copied.
- Video of 2015 World Finals
- Video of 2014 World Finals
- Video of 2011 World Finals
- Video of 2010 World Finals
- Video of 2008 World Finals
- www.icj-cij.org/ (International Court of Justice. The site maintains an online database of its decisions, plus information related to what is in its docket).
- www.unoosa.org/ (nearly 1000 documents from the Official Records of the United Nations. In this first round you will currently find documents from the negotiation history of the 1963 Declaration; Outer Space Treaty; Rescue Agreement; Liability Convention)
- www.oosa.unvienna.org/oosa/SpaceLaw/index.html (United Nations Office for Outer Space Affairs. Legal studies and background documents on various aspects of space law).
- www.unoosa.org/pdf/reports/ac105/AC105_636E.pdf (Cumulative index of the Proceedings of IISL Colloquia, 1958-1994 (UN, 1996, V.96-81142-March 1996).
- www.supremecourt.gov/oral_arguments/argument_audio.aspx (This page contains audio recordings of all oral arguments heard by the Supreme Court of the United States and can help non-English speaking students to improve their listening skills for the oral arguments).
- rescommunis.wordpress.com/ (Space law blog, The University of Mississippi School of Law)
- www.spacepolicyonline.com/pages/ (News, information and analysis about space programmes)
- www.ila-hq.org/en/committees/index.cfm/cid/29 (International Law Association (ILA) Space Law Committee. This site provides discussion of current space law issues).
- www.spacelaw.olemiss.edu/JSL_backissues.html (online available full volumes of the Journal of Space Law, from 1973 to 2007).
- www.space-institute.org/resources/ (The London Institute of Space Policy and Law webpage has a links list to major space organizations).
- www.iislweb.org/publications.html (Here are links to access IISL Newsletters, Statements by the IISL Board of Directors and whole proceedings of IISL/ECSL Symposia organized for the delegates of the Legal Subcommittee of UN-COPUOS)
- www.espi.or.at (European Space Policy Institute Publications: Books, Reports (library) and ESPI Perspectives)
- www.iafastro.org (International Astronautical Federation)
- http://iaaweb.org/content/view/229/356/ (International Academic of Astronautics: studies, position papers on space science and activities and more).
- www.planetaryprotection.nasa.gov (Information on NASA’s planetary protection and astrobiology research).
- www.nasa.gov (National Aeronautics and Space Administration, U.S.)
- www.hq.nasa.gov/office/hqlibrary/pathfinders/legspace.htm (NASA’s legislative research and space law)
- www.esa.int (European Space Agency)
- www.esa.int/SPECIALS/ECSL/ (European Centre for Space Law)
- www.jaxa.jp/index_e.html (Japan Aerospace Exploration Agency)
- www.jaxa.jp/library/space_law/intro_e.html (JAXA’s space law page)
- NATO Cooperative Cyber Defense Centre of Excellence free e-book entitled “Peacetime Regime for State Activities in Cyberspace”, including a chapter on Space Law and Unauthorised Cyber Activities.
- Governing the Geostationary Orbit: Orbital Slots and Spectrum Use in an Era of Interference Note de l’Ifri, janvier 2014
- www.spacedaily.com/ (Space Daily has many interesting articles and links on space science and activities)
- www.marsdaily.com/ (Articles and useful links on Mars science and activities)
- www.spaceref.com/ (Articles on space activities, research and programmes)
- www.thespacereview.com/ (Essays and commentary about space programmes)
- www.spacesafetymagazine.com/ (News, comments and more on how to make outer space a safer place to work and explore).
- Read about the experiences (in Spanish) of the team from the Universidad Nacional Autonoma
de Mexico (UNAM), Mexico City.
Journals and other Publications on Space Law and Policy
- Air and Space Law (Kluwer)
- Annals of Air and Space Law (McGill University)
- Journal of Air Law and Commerce
- Journal of Space Law
- Proceedings of the International Institute of Space Law (IISL)
- Revue Française de Droit Aérien et Spatial (RFDAS, Pédone) (in French)
- Space Policy (Elsevier)
- Zeitschrift für Luft- und Weltraumrecht (ZLW) in German (with selected articles in English and French)
Here is a text that may help to guide students to prepare memorials and oral arguments.
Here is another guide for students: http://www.esa.int/SPECIALS/ECSL/SEM4FBQ3K3E_0.html
An article on how to prepare memorials was also published by the Journal on Space Law. The name of the article is Doyle S., Preparing Written Briefs for International Law Competitions: A Primer. Journal of Space Law, 2005, vol 2, p. 447-457 (in e-format p. 206-216). You may find the journal here: www.spacelaw.olemiss.edu/JSL/Back_issues/JSL%2031-2.pdf